Labels

Sunday, September 9, 2012

JAGS Revised Archetypes (2.0) BETA

Here is the link: JAGS Revised Archetypes.

That should download it. It's about 4 MB. The visualzation on the cover is about maybe 50% of what's in there. I'd talked about having more--but that's where we got to right now and what the heck. Someone out there probably wants to look at it!

My rules: I'm sharing this early with JAGS Blog readers and I would like it if you did two very simple things.

  1. If you download it, please post here that you did--even if you don't look at it.
  2. If you do look at it, please try to give me some feedback even if it's just "wow, that's a lot of pages" and post it to this thread. I'd like to have the public feedback as I think it will help with the "energy" around it.

If you have further feedback or even something like proof-reading, that doesn't have to go here--but any questions or discussion would be great to have out in the open.

This represents a major milestone for me--in JAGS and in my personal life.

If you want a baseline of comparison, look at the J-Arch 1.7 file (link over to the right) to see what the alpha version of this looked like--very different.

I believe this is sleeker, better balanced, more complete, and, really, just a whole heck of a lot closer to what we originally envisioned. The software development maxim: Throw The First One Away seems to hold true to JAGS design as well.

Thank you for reading.

11 comments:

  1. Hey, Marco. Thought I'd let you know I'm downloading it as we speak. I'll be looking it over (though probably only focusing heavily on the psionics rules since my Morrow game actually USES that) sometime this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, having looked through it briefly, I can see a bit of a problem with converting the characters with psi from the prior version in my particular case. I currently have three players who have psychic powers.
    One of them is a telekinetic, and though the way things are done is changed, he could probably be fit in pretty easily.
    One took the healing related Empathy powers. There's no equivalent in the somewhat narrower psi in the new book, but then there's no pyrokinesis or photokinesis (which I've used on NPCs) so I'd be fishing in the "powers" anyway; she could probably use some of the Life Control powers as a substitute.
    The real problem child is the one that took Empathy and Harmony in the original version. There doesn't seem to be any equivalent to the former, and the closest to the latter are some of the Love Control powers, and some of the others are a little weird for a psychic power.
    (I was a little surprised to see a lack of any sort of generic emotion control power; or have I just missed it?)
    By the by, it was nice to see the section on the Success Points. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call--left out the Empathy document. So--good. I'll put back in Empathy and Harmony which I have notes for but did not include. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I'll wait until the updated version is up before I try to do any further use of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any idea when you'll update it, Marco? My players have been asking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can email the PDF of the Psionics file which I have updated. What email should I send it to?

      Delete
    2. I have a PDF file of just that chapter with the revised info. Please let me know where to send it. If you want to email me it's mchacon at (company that hosts blogger . com).

      Delete
  5. Go ahead and send it to thomas5251212@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know this is an old post and you've made lots of improvements since then, but is there any way to obtain a copy of the beta? I'm planning to start a Wonderland game and that your modifications to archetypes might help re-cost and -balance powers / skills (which seems to have been based on an even older version of JAGs than available on the website).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can send you one via email. It will still mostly work. I'll explain more when I'm not on my phone.

      Delete
  7. David, I can send you a PDF of the last "cut" of the book. It will mostly work--there are a few 'major' changes. I will also doing a post sort of explaining the JAGS material time-line and future plans which will make using other material make more sense. If you send me your email, I'll send you the last cut of the book. My address is mchacon at google's free email (if you can't figure that out let me know). If you send me an email, I'll reply with the book.

    ReplyDelete